ATL to Charleston, SC to Savannah, GA in 60 Hours

Before Henry was born, Sam traveled a pretty good amount for his job. When we got close to Henry’s due date and for the first 6 or so weeks of Henry’s life, Sam slowed that down. Things were a little hectic, to say the least. Now that we’ve got more of a routine, Sam has started to go out of town a little bit more often again. When he told me at the end of last week that he had to go to Charleston and Savannah for work, I immediately jumped at the possibility of joining him. We contemplated how difficult it might be with Henry, but we decided to take the risk and turn his business trip into a little family getaway.

We left Monday around noon (after Henry pitched a major fit…) and got to Charleston around 5:30. Unfortunately it was already getting dark because of the time change, but we didn’t let that deter us from seeing at least a little bit of Charleston before we hit the hay for the night.

Henry’s first time in a hotel!

We put Waterfront Park into our Google Maps and started driving. (We were staying in North Charleston for Sam’s job.) After driving for about 25 minutes, we parked on the side of the road, got Henry’s stroller out, and set off for dinner. We decided on sushi for dinner and got out our Yelp! app. We found Sushi Blue, which was about a half-mile walk away from where we parked. (Yes, we realize we could have parked near the restaurant, but what fun is that?)

I snapped this picture when we went back by during the day.
Henry was a hit at the restaurant, and a kind stranger even offered to take a family picture after seeing us with our camera.

We got the Yum Yum roll, the Buddha Belly roll, and the crunchy shrimp roll. They were all pretty good, and since we were there during their happy hour two of the rolls were just $6 each. I got a southern mule, which had sweet tea vodka in it. It was also part of happy hour and only cost us $5. Overall, we had great service, good food and drinks, and didn’t pay an outrageous amount, so we were satisfied with our meal!

After leaving the restaurant, we wandered around Charleston. Since it was a Monday night, it was a calm, quiet night. It was also in the low 60s, so we got to wear our sweaters and hoodies.


We didn’t really have any destination, so we just walked around. We found some cool alleys and historic sites, but we decided we would have to come back for lunch the next day to see more of the city in its glory.


Had to snap a picture of Henry’s!
Part of the City Market. There weren’t any vendors there since it was a Monday night.

We ended the night at Waterfront Park. I snapped a few pictures, and we sat on a bench for a few minutes and talked to Henry. After a pleasant night out, we decided to head back with a plan to return the next day!


It was beautiful at night, so we were excited to see it during the day!
Even on vacation, we had to squeeze in a bath for Stinky Jr.

We got up Tuesday morning and ate the breakfast at our hotel. Sam went out and did the things he needed to do for work, while Henry and I hung out in our room and packed up our stuff. Sam came back and picked us up, and we headed to Charleston!

After asking a friend for a restaurant recommendation, we decided on Jestine’s Kitchen for lunch. We were going to meet one of Sam’s co-workers there, so we walked around for a little while before we went to lunch. The first things we discovered included going back through the City Market and St. Phillip’s Episcopal Church.

We walked through the market and were amazed that vendors come back everyday to set up their booths after seeing it empty the night before.
The view of St. Phillip’s from an intersection of the City Market


St. Phillip’s is beautiful, and it has a large cemetery across the street with some very old tombstones.
Sam was such a good sport letting me take pictures while he pushed Henry on some very bumpy sidewalks and cobblestone streets.

After wandering around a little bit, we headed back to Jestine’s Kitchen. Before we even got back, we decided that we were going to get an appetizer. We got a basket of cornbread, which was served with honey and butter. I got the pecan fried chicken breast sandwich with fries and a sweet tea, and Sam had the meatloaf with mashed potatoes and mac’n’cheese. Needless to say, it was Southern food, and it was delicious. We had a great experience with an awesome waitress.


Notice the turkey salt shaker. I can get on board with a restaurant that makes sure to celebrate Thanksgiving before Christmas.
Henry was enamored with the turkey salt shaker.

After lunch, we headed over to Peace Pie for some ice cream sandwiches with pie filling. Y’all. So good. I had a pecan pie, Sam had a new classic, and Eli, Sam’s co-worker, had a coconut cream pie. We got to interact with the owner, and he was really nice and answered all of our (many) questions.

Peace Pie is in this stretch of buildings.

After getting our ice cream sandwiches, we wandered around some more with the intent at seeing Waterfront Park and Rainbow Row before we left for the day. We found some alleys and walked some extremely bumpy cobblestone streets (that Henry slept through).

Sam had to take a business call, especially considering this was a business trip.

We made our way to Waterfront Park, and it was just as beautiful as the night before. The fountain was pretty, and there were lots of families around having picnics and throwing their coins into the fountain making wishes.


We wrapped up our Charleston wandering by heading to Rainbow Row. This was one of my favorite things we saw in Charleston. The houses are so brightly colored, and it just puts you in a good mood. We saw several people with cameras snapping pictures of the houses and window flower boxes.

After a somewhat lengthy walk back to our car and a fussy Henry, we hit the road for Savannah. We left around 2:30 and got to Savannah around 5:00. We checked into our hotel and took a few minutes to chill out. Henry was very appreciative of the time.


We got on Yelp! and found Treylor Park for dinner. It was only a 3-minute walk from our hotel and had good reviews. We walked into a cool atmosphere with friendly staff. I ordered a “Peach Pit,” which had peach cider and bourbon, along with a few other things, in it. Sam got the Biscuits Benedict, which was right up his alley. I had the patty melt with chips. We got the banana pudding creme brûlée for dessert, which was served in a mini-cast iron skillet with vanilla wafers. All of our food was awesome, our waiter was great and offered us recommendations when we needed them, and the atmosphere was something we enjoyed.


After dinner, we headed back to the hotel, so we could watch the results of the presidential election while resting up for a half-day of wandering through Savannah before heading home the next day.

We got up and packed our things after deciding that we would go eat breakfast somewhere, explore Savannah, go to Sam’s job, and then head home. We decided on eating at a breakfast place called Henry’s, pretty much on the name alone. Sam and I both got Henry’s combo, which is essentially their version of a Waffle House All-Star Special. The combo included 3 eggs, bacon and sausage, 2 pancakes, and grits. I substituted hash browns for my grits though. This may have been my favorite meal we had on the trip, but I am partial to breakfast food. Our waitress was also very sweet.


His very own restaurant!

After breakfast, we went wandering around Savannah. We went by the Savannah Cotton Exchange building, River Street, and several of the squares around town. We even made our way to Chippewa Square, where Forrest Gump was filmed, but unfortunately, the bench is no longer there.

We didn’t have much time on this trip in particular, but if/when we go back, I would love to do a carriage tour of both cities and be able to spend more time seeking out historical sites. There is so much to do, we definitely didn’t have ample time to cover it all.


On our way home, we stopped in Macon, Georgia on the Mercer University campus and ate a late lunch. We had Francar’s Buffalo Wings, and anyone who knows me knows I love buffalo wings. We got 15 wings and a large fry to share, which was plenty for us. Our food was good, and we had great service!


We sat outside and enjoyed the weather to give Henry a good break from the car.

Overall, we had a great trip and ate lots of yummy food! What are some of your favorite things to do, see, and eat in Charleston and Savannah? Comment on this post or e-mail me, so I can begin making my list for next time!

Author: Erin Roberts

Hi! I'm Erin. I'm a follower of Jesus, a wife to Sam, a mom to Henry, and a drinker of coffee. My hope is that you will kick off your shoes, get some coffee, and stay awhile. Visit me at

One thought on “ATL to Charleston, SC to Savannah, GA in 60 Hours”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s